Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
Claudio Freire wrote:
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Me, seeing the wording "minimal server" would expect it to have more
things. Certainly YaST, in text mode at least. Dunno, maybe it is
easier to run a command to add yast than it is to remove it :-?
Yes, it is easily added or installed later, but many things are. What I
dislike is such a significant change without discussion before or
after - until now.

It looks like someone just went in and did the changes willy-nilly,
without considering the wider impact. This person saw fit to remove
YaST, but forgot to remove <list of surplus packages> that I posted
earlier. Lazy, mind boggling and irresponsible.

I decided to get off my lazy ass, and check:

Thanks.

Thu Jun 11 14:01:32 UTC 2015 - lnussel@xxxxxxx

- tweak minimal pattern to make it smaller again:
* omit kernel. In theory YaST will add it for real installations.
* don't install yast anymore. Should work in theory
* remove adjtimex, hopefully not used anymore

I seem to recall seeing that being installed, only just this afternoon. Yep, sure enough: adjtimex-1.29-7.1.x86_64

* remove eject, ntfs-3g and ntp, sysfsutils not really needed

Well, ntp was clearly kept after all. With a default config that most serious server setups would want to change anyway.

* remove release-notes-openSUSE, pulls in perl
* remove vim, needs full perl :-(

vim is still being installed.

There's a pattern for yast too, so those wanting yast could simply
pick both (minimal+yast)

I did add yast and yast-network to my install earlier today. Did the trick. I think it was a total of 82Mb.

I don't really like removing SuSEfirewall2. The rationale, avoiding
perl, seems to be the motive. Most of that is to avoid pulling in
perl. But a firewall is quite an important part of any installation
really, I would consider an installation, even if minimal, without a
firewall, quite irresponsible.

Exactly!

But selecting it back is easy, and it is indeed the minimal pattern,
> which strives to be minimal. Pulling in full perl would indeed hurt
> that objective.

It's not the "minimal pattern", it's the "minimal server pattern". A very important distinction, IMHO.

So lets just add this as a warning on the release notes?

How about:
"If you want YaST or a default firewall, you have to add them yourselves".

TBH, that would be the worst thing to do, but I'm slowly getting past caring.

/Per