Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:13:20 -0400
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michal Kubecek wrote:

On Friday 23 of October 2015 17:30:41 Per Jessen wrote:
Claudio Freire wrote:
Yes, but call the pattern "container minimal". Calling it "server"
makes it seem like it's for a... you know... server. Which elicits
thoughts of a physical machine in my language.

Absolutely. A virtual server too, but first and foremost real iron.

Less and less true, these days. Actually, I believe the percentage of
server systems running on their dedicated physical machines is already
decreasing for 10-15 years.

Maybe not quite that far back, but as Claudio says, the word "server"
elicits thoughts of a physical machine.

Roughly 10 years ago I was system architect at Ford (as a consultant).

We were put through a physical to virtual migration. It actually
failed for reasons I never understood, but they were certainly
aggressively trying to consolidate physical servers into virtual
platforms.

I'm a fan of docker, but I think of it more like a full application
environment than I do as a server environment. "Minimal Server"
doesn't strike me as something focused on docker setups.

Specifically, I do a lot of local processing. Having docker
containers to address different processing needs seems ideal to me,
but admittedly I haven't actually done much of that yet.

Greg