Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Me, seeing the wording "minimal server" would expect it to have more
things. Certainly YaST, in text mode at least. Dunno, maybe it is
easier to run a command to add yast than it is to remove it :-?

Yes, it is easily added or installed later, but many things are. What I
dislike is such a significant change without discussion before or
after - until now.

It looks like someone just went in and did the changes willy-nilly,
without considering the wider impact. This person saw fit to remove
YaST, but forgot to remove <list of surplus packages> that I posted
earlier. Lazy, mind boggling and irresponsible.

I decided to get off my lazy ass, and check:

Thu Jun 11 14:01:32 UTC 2015 - lnussel@xxxxxxx

- tweak minimal pattern to make it smaller again:
* omit kernel. In theory YaST will add it for real installations.
* don't install yast anymore. Should work in theory
* remove adjtimex, hopefully not used anymore
* remove SuSEfirewall2, needs full perl which is huge
* remove eject, ntfs-3g and ntp, sysfsutils not really needed
* remove release-notes-openSUSE, pulls in perl
* remove vim, needs full perl :-(
* require zypper instead of software stack pattern to avoid
additional recommends
* blacklist perl, python-base and binutils to avoid recommended packages
pulling them in

The kernel thing is a bug, then, if not installed on real (or virtual
but kernel-needing) installations.

I guess I'll check that.

There's a pattern for yast too, so those wanting yast could simply
pick both (minimal+yast)

I don't really like removing SuSEfirewall2. The rationale, avoiding
perl, seems to be the motive. Most of that is to avoid pulling in
perl. But a firewall is quite an important part of any installation
really, I would consider an installation, even if minimal, without a
firewall, quite irresponsible. But selecting it back is easy, and it
is indeed the minimal pattern, which strives to be minimal. Pulling in
full perl would indeed hurt that objective.

So lets just add this as a warning on the release notes?