Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:50:28 +0200
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Friday 2015-10-23 20:07, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

I have yet to come across a "serious" server without a BMC,

Uh, correction - HP Proliants don't have BMC, they have ILOs.

A nice chapter on naming. From Sun/Oracle's side: ILOM, ALOM, RSC.
RSC was actually the most honest one - Remote System Control.
ALOM/ILO(M) being the "Lights-out manager" conveys a meaning that
its primary purpose is turning off stuff, rather than to actually do
something "serious" with the machine. :)

Jan, I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but "lights out"
refers to switcxhing off the lights in the machine room. Back in the
70s when machines could still be boot-strapped manually with
toggle-switches or in the 80s when you still might nned to access the
service processor console for an IML, the machine rooms were always
lit, round the clock. "Lights out" meant "no need for anyone to access
physically".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.4°C)