Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:44:08 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Me, seeing the wording "minimal server" would expect it to have more
things. Certainly YaST, in text mode at least. Dunno, maybe it is
easier to run a command to add yast than it is to remove it :-?

Yes, it is easily added or installed later, but many things are. What I
dislike is such a significant change without discussion before or
after - until now.

It looks like someone just went in and did the changes willy-nilly,
without considering the wider impact. This person saw fit to remove
YaST, but forgot to remove <list of surplus packages> that I posted
earlier. Lazy, mind boggling and irresponsible.

There _is_ room for discussing the purpose and contents of the "minimum
server pattern". Dominique sort of proposed it is meant for "serious
server setups", but imo it certainly isn't suited for that either. It
doesn't even include puppet or CFengine :-)

Why would I need yast in a minimal pattern? To configure network, for
instance.

Ah, surely "vi" is sufficient, Carlos. :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.4°C)