Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:03:40 +0200
Michael Strc3b6der wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Michael Strc3b6der wrote:

Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Oct 23 13:24 Michael Ströder wrote (excerpt):
But when setting up a minimal server removing
yast is always one of the tasks.

Could you provide your personal reasons why you do not want
to have YaST on your servers.

I know this is often the case and I can imagine various reasons
for it but I like to learn what various actual reasons are.

My personal reasons:

1. When I started to use Linux (also SuSE Linux) professionally back
in '96 there were no tools like yast.

When did YaST turn up?

Not sure. At least it was not usable for my installations back then.

I can't remember, but I'm pretty certain YaST was one of the reasons I
chose to stay with SuSE.

As said: Just personal opinion and no offense against yast.
But I do appreciate that it's possible to remove it.

Which is fair enough - but how many users are like you and prefer to
remove YaST from their servers?

I can't tell. But does it matter?

Of course it does - unless the majority of people installing servers
remove YaST afterwards, we should include it. The "minimum server
pattern" should cater to the majority.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.4°C)