Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:59:11 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:22:40 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:22:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Saving disk space is not very relevant, except maybe for xen
guests.

One word: Docker.

YaST is completely superfluous in a Docker container.

I am not trying to argue that YaST is needed everywhere, I just
believe it is part of the minimum toolset for a server, serious or
otherwise.

Respectfully, I disagree. A minimum toolset for a server, to me, is
the minimum software required for the server to do what it's supposed
to do, and that's it.
Fewer pieces of software installed = fewer avenues open for an
attacker to compromise the system.

You'll no doubt disagree, and that's fine. You have the option of
adding YaST when you do your installation. Everybody wins.

Everybody won before too - everyone had the option of removing YaST.
Nothing gained.

A show of hands please, in the last 10-15 years, how many of you
actually went and removed YaST from your server installations?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.6°C)