Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:38:17 +0200
Michael Strc3b6der wrote:

Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Oct 23 13:24 Michael Ströder wrote (excerpt):
But when setting up a minimal server removing
yast is always one of the tasks.

Could you provide your personal reasons why you do not want
to have YaST on your servers.

I know this is often the case and I can imagine various reasons
for it but I like to learn what various actual reasons are.

My personal reasons:

1. When I started to use Linux (also SuSE Linux) professionally back
in '96 there were no tools like yast.

When did YaST turn up? - I also got my first SuSE Linux back then (4.4.1
I think it was), ISTR YaST being a great help. (I was a Linux newbie,
until then I'd been working with mainframes).

As said: Just personal opinion and no offense against yast.
But I do appreciate that it's possible to remove it.

Which is fair enough - but how many users are like you and prefer to
remove YaST from their servers?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.5°C)