[opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:33:34 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:19:28 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

But there is a point where having lots of different patterns would
create more confusion (not to mention maintenance).

Yes, we don't want too many either, but we should cater to a handful of
most often used patterns. Personally speaking, I use the "minimum
server pattern" frequently, either on real iron or (less frequently) on
xen.

I think, then, ultimately, that the goal of a minimal pattern should be
to be truly minimal for all use cases, and then permit the user to add to
it as they need to.

To me, "minimal" means "absolute core required components". In that
spirit, YaST isn't part of an *absolute* requirement, so leaving it out
makes perfect sense.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson