Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:19:28 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:01:42 -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:19:30 -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

Yes, but call the pattern "container minimal". Calling it "server"
makes it seem like it's for a... you know... server. Which elicits
thoughts of a physical machine in my language.

It doesn't in mine. Certainly, I have had occasion to create
virtual servers where having YaST also was something that wasn't
necessary because it was purpose-built for a specific purpose.

When using virtualization orchestration technologies (for example),
a really, really minimal image is essential to being able to (for
example)
move a VM from one host to another when doing load balancing of
compute resources.

Alright. But, VMs still require kernels, and that's the critical
distinction I was trying to make.

Containers don't.

In essence, a container is a special case of environment that would
be wrong to conflate with the case of full machines, either physical
or virtual. Usually, a system can ignore the presence of a
hypervisor, but a container cannot ignore the host it runs on. In
fact, I would bet it's very tricky getting an openSUSE "minimal
server" running in a CentOS docker.

So separate patterns seem make sense IMO.

I don't entirely disagree with that assessment.

But there is a point where having lots of different patterns would
create more confusion (not to mention maintenance).

Yes, we don't want too many either, but we should cater to a handful of
most often used patterns. Personally speaking, I use the "minimum
server pattern" frequently, either on real iron or (less frequently) on
xen.

Maybe a better approach is needed - layered patterns or something like
that.

I have been thinking about that on and off for quite a while, but I
always end up concluding that having 3-4-5 patterns is actually easier
and, importantly, much less work.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.6°C)