Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.1] Found a .doc document that LilbreOffice fails to render correctly. From the administration.
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 18:12:03 +0200
On 23 October 2015 at 17:32, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Also I would appreciate if you would refrain from using statements
as "does an horrible job" - it is strongly disrespectful to
developers/maintainers - why don't you try fixing yourself instead
of using such language? You are getting results of someone elses
work for free, and even if it might not be perfect, it is rude to
make such comments.

I'm sorry if you think that. I never thought it wold be understood
that way.

To me, a program is an object, not a person, and it can do a good job,
or a bad job. It is just a description of facts, not a judging on the
people that made the tool. I'm not saying that a person did an
horrible job. An tool did.

And this is also true.

The OP was met with aggression because he mentioned libreoffice making
"a horrible job".

As much as some people seem to believe the opposite, progams are not
people. And even people should be able to take criticism. Even
constructive criticism is criticism in any case, and when a program is
said to do something bad, that's not a personal attack, that's just an
objective assessment of code performance and/or correctness, and
anyone believing that it is a personal offense is simply being
unprofessional. I've worked with people like that, and it's
unbearable, not a pleasant experience, when you can't point out flaws
without fearing the author will make a scene out of a simple review.

From my POV, someone got offended because of that simple review,
because it was placed in what he considered the wrong mailing list, an
attitude that I personally find unprofessional from the ofendee, not
the offender, and then the offender gets a threat from the board.

That's what I get when I read the thread in isolation. This is an
objective assessment, to give the board an opportunity to provide the
missing context, for I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that will
take this thread's contents in isolation.

The board was not reacting to a single thread in isolation, but an ongoing trend

If you really want to read a lot, recent example threads are below ,
but this is not a comprehensive list - I just really don't want to
waste too much time trawling through the past, while I still want to
give you an insight into the Boards decision making process.

'Noise':
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00028.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00019.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00045.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00047.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00049.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00062.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00091.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00159.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00454.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-10/msg00670.html

There's lots of replies in many threads which could be considered very
content-light with lots of block quotes 'Exactly', 'Same here', 'I
agree'

Argumentative/Disparagement of other Contributors/Threats of non-contribution@
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2015-10/msg00052.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2015-10/msg00011.html

I'm afraid I don't have the forum posts to hand which also fit this
trend, including arguments with their Forum administrators - I
understand the Forum team may have tidied up a lot of those posts.