Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Oct 23 13:24 Michael Ströder wrote (excerpt):
But when setting up a minimal server removing
yast is always one of the tasks.

Could you provide your personal reasons why you do not want
to have YaST on your servers.

I know this is often the case and I can imagine various reasons
for it but I like to learn what various actual reasons are.

My personal reasons:

1. When I started to use Linux (also SuSE Linux) professionally back in '96
there were no tools like yast. So I got used to directly edit configuration
files with a text editor (after compiling software myself).

2. Security:
- Generally I try to remove all unused stuff.
- I want to have everything under control, especially the security relevant
configuration parts.

3. IMO configuration UIs like yast do a good job getting you started quickly
but cannot give you full control over all details - at least not with a
reasonable amount of development work.

As said: Just personal opinion and no offense against yast.
But I do appreciate that it's possible to remove it.

Ciao, Michael.