[opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:40:57 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:22:40 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:22:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Saving disk space is not very relevant, except maybe for xen guests.

One word: Docker.

YaST is completely superfluous in a Docker container.

I am not trying to argue that YaST is needed everywhere, I just believe
it is part of the minimum toolset for a server, serious or otherwise.

Respectfully, I disagree. A minimum toolset for a server, to me, is the
minimum software required for the server to do what it's supposed to do,
and that's it.

Fewer pieces of software installed = fewer avenues open for an attacker
to compromise the system.

You'll no doubt disagree, and that's fine. You have the option of adding
YaST when you do your installation. Everybody wins.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson