[opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:38:46 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:19:30 -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

Yes, but call the pattern "container minimal". Calling it "server"
makes it seem like it's for a... you know... server. Which elicits
thoughts of a physical machine in my language.

It doesn't in mine. Certainly, I have had occasion to create virtual
servers where having YaST also was something that wasn't necessary
because it was purpose-built for a specific purpose.

When using virtualization orchestration technologies (for example), a
really, really minimal image is essential to being able to (for example)
move a VM from one host to another when doing load balancing of compute
resources.

There are many, many cases where, for compliance reasons, you don't want
to have anything that's not essential to the operation of the software in
question on the machine. It's like requiring the Oracle JDK for
something when really, all you need is the JRE.

Certainly both use cases are very different when one needs a kernel and
another doesn't. Right?

Sure.

Jim

--