Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:30:41 +0200
Claudio Freire wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:56:12 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Michal Kubecek wrote:

On Friday 23 of October 2015 13:33:17 Per Jessen wrote:
Michael Strc3b6der wrote:

I'm not a openSUSE developer. But when setting up a minimal
server removing yast is always one of the tasks.

Why do you use openSUSE then?

Do you seriously believe YaST is the only possible reason someone
could choose openSUSE? If so, you are wrong.

No, I don't believe that is the only reason, I believe it is a very
important reason and certainly what truly sets us apart from the
rest.

Perhaps another thing that will set us apart from the rest is being
friendly to container-based deployments by not including anything
more than is necessary.

Yes, but call the pattern "container minimal". Calling it "server"
makes it seem like it's for a... you know... server. Which elicits
thoughts of a physical machine in my language.

Absolutely. A virtual server too, but first and foremost real iron.

I think there's plenty of room for a 2nd minimum pattern for containers,
if that's what we believe is really popular. Maybe we need some
patterns for Raspis and Anduinos too.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.1°C)