Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.1] Found a .doc document that LilbreOffice fails to render correctly. From the administration.
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 14:43:40 +0200
On 23 October 2015 at 14:41, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It wasn't intended as a warning to others.

There's two factors which crossed the Boards collective mind when
deciding how to make this post

One repeated bit of feedback the Board gets is that we do too much in
private, and therefore no one knows the work the Board is doing.
Therefore, as a rule of thumb we are trying our best to do everything
'public by default'.

That said, obviously, an issue like this is precisely the kind that we
would consider to handle privately, but that leads to the second point
- during one of the issues which led to this situation (the situation
with Translations) I had a discussion with Carlos in private, trying
to persuade him to take a more productive and proactive role in
resolving the issues he's concerned about there.

During the course of a subsequent public discussion, details of that
private discussion were leaked out a bit at a time, often with pretty
curious deviations in interpretation from how the other parties
remembered it.
In the end, a much broader disclosure of the content of the discussion
was required to clear up what really went on.

And so, we (the Board) didn't want a repetition of that situation
here. Everyone can see what we're saying, how we're saying it, and as
this email proves, we're prepared to discuss and clarify as required.

I don't think this is a bad way for the Board to conduct itself - it's
our job to deal with issues like these with could potentially 'slip
between the cracks' of formal rules. Clear cut formal rulebreaking is
so much easier to deal with..

If anyone is concerned, let me put this very clearly

The Board will never deal with an issue in this manner without
ensuring that the parties involved have had several warnings and
opportunities to change the situation in both public and private.
Each action of this type is decided by the Board is considered on a
case-by-case basis and our actions reflect what we feel is in the best
interest of the Community at that time.
It would be unfair to extrapolate or assume that the course of action
that was chosen in this case would be readily applied to even similar
situations.

Accidentally sent before finishing my final sentence..

So please, nobody panic, this doesn't represent a shift in the
responsibility or activities of the Board or the expected standards of
behaviour on this list, we're just trying to deal with this particular
situation in the way which we hope will be the most effective,
considering all the information and experience we have available to us

Regards,

Rich