Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:54:58 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:

Mind you: the patter is called "Minimum Server Pattern". Minimum
sort- of implies that bloat should be left out.

YaST = bloat ? That's a new one to me. Oh well.

OK, "bloat" sounds a little bit harsh here :) and one might get
offended, but in general, he's right. But it's always about use
cases, you have different opinion, because you use it for different
purpose. Please describe your use case first.

It hasn't changed over the years, not much anyway. I install a new
server (physical or Xen) and I don't want any GUI/X primarily because
it just makes the install take longer. Cutting away YaST does not
reduce the installation time very much at all, it only adds hassle.

If we are to remove other "bloat", how about these:

acl - Commands for Manipulating POSIX Access Control Lists
audit - User Space Tools for 2.6 Kernel Auditing
bc - GNU Command Line Calculator
btrfsprogs - Utilities for the Btrfs filesystem
ca-certificates - Utilities for system wide CA certificate installation
cracklib - Library to crack passwords using dictionaries
crda - something regulatory.
dirmngr - A Client for Managing and Downloading CRLs
efibootmgr - EFI Boot Manager
fipscheck - A library for integrity verification of FIPS validated
modules
joe or vim - two editors?? surely a waste.
krb5 - MIT Kerberos5 Implementation--Librarie
libselinux1*
logrotate
mozilla-nspr - Netscape Portable Runtime
nfs-client - Support Utilities for NFS
ntp - Network Time Protocol daemon
rsync
strace
tcsh - The C SHell
tnftp - Enhanced FTP Client
traceroute
w3m
wol - Wake On Lan client
xauth - Utility to edit and display the X authorization informatio
shim - UEFI shim loader

Surely this crud isn't needed on a serious server.
But no, instead of the "bloat" above, we remove YaST and we don't even
install a firewall, not to mention iptables. A serious server doesn't
need a firewall???

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.8°C)