Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:22:41 +0200
Lukas Ocilka wrote:

On 23.10.2015 12:31, Per Jessen wrote:
* Install a server (obvious)
There, it's arguable if you need yast or not... most serious server
setups will be using other management tools (puppet et.al)

I'm sorry, but "ridiculous" is entirely appropriate. YaST is the one
thing that distinguishes openSUSE from the rest, and we decide not to
install it. I call it mind boggling.

It's always about how much "minimal" you want it. The fact is, that
Yast is not "needed", it's really something additional. Yast belongs
to a "standard" server though.

Use case for "minimal server" here is (probably): as minimal as
possible to be able to install anything else that might be "missing".

Hi Lukas,

That's not a really a use case - the use case should describe _why_ a
minimal selection is desirable for a server. See below.

Mind you: the patter is called "Minimum Server Pattern". Minimum
sort- of implies that bloat should be left out.

YaST = bloat ? That's a new one to me. Oh well.

OK, "bloat" sounds a little bit harsh here :) and one might get
offended, but in general, he's right. But it's always about use cases,
you have different opinion, because you use it for different purpose.
Please describe your use case first.

It hasn't changed over the years, not much anyway. I install a new
server (physical or Xen) and I don't want any GUI/X primarily because
it just makes the install take longer. Cutting away YaST does not
reduce the installation time very much at all, it only adds hassle.
Saving disk space is not very relevant, except maybe for xen guests.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.5°C)