Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 12:31:37 +0200
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 10:44 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
In Milestone 2 it still worked well, but now we don't even install
YaST.
I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

I'm not sure 'ridiculous' is a valid choice of word here... consider
the various usecases for the minimum server pattern:

* Install a server (obvious)
There, it's arguable if you need yast or not... most serious server
setups will be using other management tools (puppet et.al)

I'm sorry, but "ridiculous" is entirely appropriate. YaST is the one
thing that distinguishes openSUSE from the rest, and we decide not to
install it. I call it mind boggling.

* Install a container (nspawn, docker)
Yast is just a bloat in there... does not make any sense at all.

Instead of having a pattern that pulls in all the 'garbage' nobody
needs in those environments, the minimum pattern targets to get those
things up and running, allowing you to extend what you need. That's
much easier to achieve than hunting down things you don't want in
these setups and trying to eliminate them.

Mind you: the patter is called "Minimum Server Pattern". Minimum sort-
of implies that bloat should be left out.

YaST = bloat ? That's a new one to me. Oh well.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.0°C)