Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap42 - something must be slowing down my system
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:46:13 +0200
Takashi Iwai wrote:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:00:07 +0200,
Per Jessen wrote:

It's veryyyyy slow. It's nothing special, an HP xw6400. A couple
of
Intel 5130 @ 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM. A couple of SATA drives in RAID1,
graphics is a dual Nvidia Quadro 440. I use it exclusively for
testing Leap.

Locking the screen on an otherwise inactive system takes 11 seconds
from I press Ctrl-Alt-L. After that it takes another 15 seconds for
the icons (user,new,change) to appear on the locked/login screen.

To login, I need to click on the password field to move the focus,
takes 5 seconds. I type my 8-character password in a second or so,
but it
takes 5 seconds for it to appear as bullets in the password field.
In chunks of 2 and 3.

Any possibility this is graphics driver related? nouveau didn't
work, so I installed the latest (for this card) nvidia driver from
source.

For the moment, rebooting solved the issue - now I'll just wait a
couple of days to see if it slows down again.

Possibly some memory leaks?

Yes, something like that - it wasn't swapping though.

It's a pity that nouveau doesn't work. Nvidia driver is, obviously,
hard to debug anything.

Yeah. With nouveau I got all kinds of screwed up graphics, random
triangles etc. Wasn't usable at all.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.6°C)