Re: [opensuse-factory] audacity, pulseaudio and M-Audio 2496 - no recording possible
Hi Takashi,

thx for your reply.

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 21:47:00 +0200,
Michael Hirmke wrote:

Hi *,

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 in one of my systems.
I use the digital in and digital out connectors.
Output works perfectly with pulseaudio and different audio programs, but
I can't find a solution for my recording problems.
With audacity the input level seems to be 0, the pavuctl program also
show this level.
With Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 on the same system and with the same
connectors everything works as expected, so it is not a hardware
problem.
Do I have to change something in the alsamixer? I'm a bit confused about
the different channels and switches for my card shown in alsamixer.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

If your card is a bit old PCI boards driven by snd-ice1712 driver,
it's a semi-professional card, thus it has far more knobs than PA
understands and prefers.

PA ist showing lots of controls or knobs - I just don't understand the
meaning of most of them 8-(

Try to install envy24control package and run
it, it's a GUI. There you can route and adjust the input for each
channel individually.

I already installed envy24control, but whatever I configured with it, it
never seemed to change anything. I'm really a noob regarding the
specific terms of sound processing.
After your message I tried envy24control again and (de)activated every
control in term. After setting the Master Clock to S/PDIF In I got a
recording level, but I don't understand why. And I don't understand any
setting on the Pachbay/Router tab.
If I only want do use S/PDIF Out for playing music and S/PDIF In for
recording music, what would be the correct settings on all of the tabs?
Is there a HOWTO or some other doc, where I can read about the settings?

Btw:
I also installed mudita24, which seems to be the successor of
envy24control. Latest version of envy24control stems from 2000, whilst
mudita's latest version is 2011 born.

Takashi

Bye.
Michael.