Re: [opensuse-factory] audacity, pulseaudio and M-Audio 2496 - no recording possible
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:26:29 +0200,
gumb wrote:

On 22/10/15 07:08, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 21:47:00 +0200,
Michael Hirmke wrote:

Hi *,

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 in one of my systems.
I use the digital in and digital out connectors.
Output works perfectly with pulseaudio and different audio programs, but
I can't find a solution for my recording problems.
With audacity the input level seems to be 0, the pavuctl program also
show this level.
With Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 on the same system and with the same
connectors everything works as expected, so it is not a hardware
problem.
Do I have to change something in the alsamixer? I'm a bit confused about
the different channels and switches for my card shown in alsamixer.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

If your card is a bit old PCI boards driven by snd-ice1712 driver,
it's a semi-professional card, thus it has far more knobs than PA
understands and prefers. Try to install envy24control package and run
it, it's a GUI. There you can route and adjust the input for each
channel individually.

Takashi

Sorry to butt in with a 'me too' comment, but these symptoms are
somewhat similar to a situation I have on another desktop machine,
except that in that case, it's running AVLinux with Jack instead of
PulseAudio, using a SBLive PCI soundcard. Output is fine but there are a
bewildering array of software inputs (only the usual mic/line on the
card itself so I don't know what all the others really represent).

A different sound card, a completely different problem. The only same
thing is that it's something about the mixer setup.

Takashi