[opensuse-factory] Re: Video performance [Was: Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?]
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 02:09, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@...> wrote:

On 21/10/2015 1:14, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <> [10-20-15 18:50]:
On 20/10/2015 18:17, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

But working 500 raw photographs does require the nvidia prop driver!
nouveau just cannot keep up.

Why? :-?

Displaying static photos should not be a problem, and processing is done by
the CPU, not the video hardware. The card and driver should not matter, as
long as they are capable of displaying with proper resolution and number of
colours.

OpenCL support provides 3-4 x performance. And memory in the video
hardware is utilized, so it does matter.

But I still don't understand. Increase performance, how, in what? It's a static image, stored compressed as some kind of bitmap in a file. You only need to convert to a standard bitmap, which is done by the cpu in addressable memory, then display it. Then, it is idle.

What do you need display speed for? :-?

I'm displaying raw photos in this laptop which only has an Intel video. I notice no issues at all.
Possibly they even display faster tonight, that I'm using Windows :-p

Carlos, Carlos, ....

Think about a (semi-)professional photographer that does things like:
recalibrating colors (redshift, blueshift, ...)
recalibrating dynamic range (16bit/12bit/10bit to 8bit rgb)
mounting multiple singlurars to panoramas, with correcting angles, etc

All this implies MASSIVE amounts of computations done.
for a single RAW, die difference between 60 seconds CPU
and 35 seconds GPU+CPU worktime is not the world.
Now, multiply by 500, for a full workday load.

How many hours do you want to work per day, to have the money you need?
500*1min = 8h20min, 500*35sec = 4h51min.

Reality bites. Hard. A soup-dish as perspective will not give the
whole picture.

Until Intel takes the executives heads out of the behinds of their
superiors, and get performance into their GPUs (-- have you seen the
joke that is Skylake Graphics for desktops??) third party discreete
GPUs are needed.

Sadly that implies drivers from the same company, as FOSS drivers
do not bring features os performance or are missing even both.

So long OpenCL and cohorts will not work with the FOSS drivers,
using them is a pipe dream for many that use Linux for their work.

- Yamaban.