[opensuse-factory] Video performance [Was: Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?]
On 21/10/2015 1:14, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <> [10-20-15 18:50]:
On 20/10/2015 18:17, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

But working 500 raw photographs does require the nvidia prop driver!
nouveau just cannot keep up.

Why? :-?

Displaying static photos should not be a problem, and processing is done by
the CPU, not the video hardware. The card and driver should not matter, as
long as they are capable of displaying with proper resolution and number of
colours.

OpenCL support provides 3-4 x performance. And memory in the video
hardware is utilized, so it does matter.

But I still don't understand. Increase performance, how, in what? It's a static image, stored compressed as some kind of bitmap in a file. You only need to convert to a standard bitmap, which is done by the cpu in addressable memory, then display it. Then, it is idle.

What do you need display speed for? :-?

I'm displaying raw photos in this laptop which only has an Intel video. I notice no issues at all.
Possibly they even display faster tonight, that I'm using Windows :-p

--
Saludos/Cheers,

Carlos E.R. (Minas-Morgul - W10)