Re: [opensuse-factory] Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?
  • From: jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:40:15 +0200
nHi.

El Lunes, 19 de octubre de 2015 23:57:00 Richard Brown escribió:
On 19 October 2015 at 23:31, jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

When I made my question I had in mind users that can't use Tumbleweed
because they have/want to use proprietary drivers (video drivers for the
most part) but still want to be up to date. They're those under the "Who
should use the normal stable release?" section on Portal:Tumbleweed.

In fact, in this
precise moment I'm using 13.2 + kernel:stable + XOrg without any problem
at
all

Um, you're interested in this topic because Tumbleweed doesn't
recommend using proprietary drivers....And then you're running 13.2
with a non-default kernel and xorg?

You didn't understand me right. My 13.2 installation is like this because I
was going to install Tumbleweed anyway so I don't really care if it breaks or
not... but the fact is that it has been working without issues. It also was to
express my opinion on that having extra repositories doesn't necessarily mean
an unstable system. As I said, I've been using the updated KDE repository
since the beginning and my experience has been fully positive. I currently use
KDE and LXDE (which I help packaging) so I don't know how does it works on
other desktops.

I'm not interested in the topic for me (I removed my NVIDIA card and I'm using
the on board AMD/ATI with the radeon driver) but for the users that want to
have recent applications and use the proprietary driver because a) they want
to (gaming or whatever) or b) they have to due severe problems with the free
drivers. It's no unusual at all to read comments of users coming back to the
stable release because they have problems with the free video driver and they
don't know how to install the blob (even though it's all explained in the
wiki, sad but true). And if they do install the blob they still can have
problems now and then if they don't lock the kernel and perhaps Mesa.

The _exact_ reason Tumbleweed doesn't recommend using proprietary
drivers is because changing the kernel and Xorg are _precisely_ the
things that breaks the proprietary drivers most often

Sure..sometimes it works, and theres always someone somewhere who can
make it work, but the advice for Tumbleweed exists as good practice
for those who don't want to have to deal with such risks

Meanwhile, your 13.2 + kernel:stable + XOrg carries probably more risk
than Tumbleweed does
it's just as likely to break the Prop. drivers, and because more
people use Tumbleweed than your custom combination of stuff, it's
going to be faster/easier to fix any issues on Tumbleweed, where as
you're on your own with your own custom repos...

Of course, I wouldn't recommend such a mix of repositories. I was just and
example of the, in my opinion, great work that openSUSE packagers do. Even
with such a bleeding edge config the system still runs like a charm. :)

Don't get me wrong, I won't complain it the extra repositories disappear. Mine
is an innocent question to know what will happen because it will be of help
for me to choose between Leap or Tumbleweed. :D

This example kind of illustrates exactly why I'd like to see a
de-emphasis on additional repos...

Greetings.