RE: [opensuse-factory] Re: New Tumbleweed snapshot 20151012 released!
G'day all,

Changing the API of libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 without renaming the link completely
breaks quite a few proprietary (non OSS) apps for me. Adobe Reader is one, but
my Citrix client/plugin is another (I also have a partner documentation program
from NetApp that also breaks).

Installing the latest version of the reader from ftp.adobe.com may be a
workaround for Acrobat Reader, but I like to use a repository if possible (not
often for legacy proprietary stuff) and there are probably many more things out
there that expect the API from a dynamic lib not to change if it is called from
the same link.

All of the proprietary programs that break for me are installed as 32-bit and I
have installed the 32bit RPM for libpango 1.36.x downloaded from the 13.2
repositories and locked it. This way, all of the newer programs that may have
dependencies on 1.38.x as time moves on will be OK since they are all 64bit,
and I can still use my legacy 32bit programs.

Perhaps someone can add a stub for the deprecated APIs to libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
(it seems to be mainly "hb_buffer_set_cluster_level", but it may hit more after
this one is resolved with a stub) or change the name of the symlink to
something else (libpangoft2-1.0.so.38? and change all of the programs that link
to it). Although this all sounds like a problem for upstream, it really breaks
things.

-- Ben

Ben Holmes
Customer Engineer
Interactive Pty Ltd
Telephone +61 7 3323 0800
Facsimile +61 7 3323 0899
Mobile +61 421 406 456
www.interactive.com.au

------Confidentiality & Legal Privilege-------------
"This email is intended for the named recipient only. The information contained
in this message may be confidential, or commercially sensitive. If you are not
the intended recipient you must not reproduce or distribute any part of the
email, disclose its contents to any other party, or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender
immediately. Please delete this message from your computer. Confidentiality and
legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you."