Re: [opensuse-factory] Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?

Hello,

On Oct 19 22:31 Richard Brown wrote (excerpt):
... defining it as the 'very end of the tree' leaf packages
So, if your limiting your scope to just those sort of packages,
you just need to persuade the maintainers to push the changes
as maintenance updates

An example where a version upgrade makes sense
but a maintenance update does not make sense:

Pure printer driver packages are such kind of
'very end of the tree' leaf packages.

"Pure printer driver package" means that the package
contains only a plain (CUPS-compliant) printer driver
without additional fancy stuff like GUI-tools and so on.

Therefore HPLIP (HP's software for printers and all-in-ones)
is not a "pure printer driver" - in contrast those packages
are pure printer drivers:
- gutenprint
- epson-inkjet-printer-escpr

For printer driver packages a version upgrade makes sense
only for those users who actually have a printer device
that is not yet supported with the version that we have
in Leap (which is what we have in SLE12).

Because printer driver packages support very many different
printer models it is less than hopeless to have them tested
by us in a reasonable way which means:
Basically printer driver packages are not at all tested
for all the different supported printer models.

Therefore a printer driver package version upgrade
as maintenance update is not possible because regressions
for this or that printer model are unknown in advance.

Or in other words: When a printer driver package version
works for a particular user with a particular printer model
there is zero reason to enforce a version upgrade for that
user by a general maintenance update.

On the other hand when a printer driver package version does
not work for a particular user with a particular printer model
there is zero reason not to do a version upgrade and try out
if the newer version may work for that particular model
(provided the newer version claims that model is supported).

Therefore what I do to provide the newest versions to users
who may need them is that I build them in the OBS "Printing"
project for as many openSUSE and SLE versions as possible
with reasonable effort, cf:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Printing

FYI:

gutenprint-5.2.10 in Leap and SLE12 provides PPD files
for 2341 printer models.

gutenprint-5.2.10pre11.2 (second pre-release of
the upcoming Gutenprint 5.2.11) in OBS "Printing"
provides PPD files for 2617 printer models,
i.e. there are 276 more printer models available.

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.4.0 in Leap and SLE12
provides PPD files for 386 printer models.

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.5.0 in OBS "Printing"
provides PPD files for 448 printer models,
i.e. there are 62 more printer models available.

Those more available printer models are mainly newer printer
models that are nowadays or recently purchasable so that
a newer printer driver package version could be primarily
of interest for users who buy new printers.

In contrast users who have or buy PostScript printers or
PCL5e monochrome laser printers do not need printer driver
packages, cf. "Printer drivers: Make the printer print" in
https://en.opensuse.org/Concepts_printing

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)