Re: [opensuse-factory] Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?
On 19 October 2015 at 23:31, jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

When I made my question I had in mind users that can't use Tumbleweed because
they have/want to use proprietary drivers (video drivers for the most part)
but still want to be up to date. They're those under the "Who should use the
normal stable release?" section on Portal:Tumbleweed.

In fact, in this
precise moment I'm using 13.2 + kernel:stable + XOrg without any problem at
all

Um, you're interested in this topic because Tumbleweed doesn't
recommend using proprietary drivers....And then you're running 13.2
with a non-default kernel and xorg?

The _exact_ reason Tumbleweed doesn't recommend using proprietary
drivers is because changing the kernel and Xorg are _precisely_ the
things that breaks the proprietary drivers most often

Sure..sometimes it works, and theres always someone somewhere who can
make it work, but the advice for Tumbleweed exists as good practice
for those who don't want to have to deal with such risks

Meanwhile, your 13.2 + kernel:stable + XOrg carries probably more risk
than Tumbleweed does
it's just as likely to break the Prop. drivers, and because more
people use Tumbleweed than your custom combination of stuff, it's
going to be faster/easier to fix any issues on Tumbleweed, where as
you're on your own with your own custom repos...

This example kind of illustrates exactly why I'd like to see a
de-emphasis on additional repos...