Re: [opensuse-factory] Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:36:27 +0200
On 19 October 2015 at 22:08, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lets imagine this situation, where something with Leap 42.1 is a
little on the rough side, and could be fixed by updating the package

In 1 years time (possibly a little earlier) Leap 42.2 will be out. In
this scenario, that update that you want of a leaf package, shouldn't
be thrown in some random repo, but be submitted as part of 42.2.

It may be too early to ask, but what happens once 42.1 is released (next
month?)

Is something like 42.2-factory going to be created so packages
destined for 42.2 can start to be accumulated?

Or do we wait for the next SLE 12 Service Pack and have an entire redo
of the 42.1 dev process?

Just curious.

Greg

Too early to say for sure

For starters, we don't know when SUSE are planning SLE 12 SP2, and
that will be something we want to factor into our decisions regarding
the timeline for Leap 42.2

Those discussions have only just started internally at SUSE, though I
do not expect them to take a very long time.

What SUSE plan to include in SLE 12 SP2 will also need to be
considered when it comes to deciding what we put in to Leap 42.2 - for
example if SUSE are planning on putting in a new kernel (something
which I know they are considering), that might make a decision about
what we do about the Leap kernel a lot easier than figuring that all
out on our own :)

But, I assume as soon as we know enough to get started, we'll come up
with a timeline of sorts, and a development process which broadly
follows how we've put together Leap 42.1, just with tunings and
refinements from the lessons learned from 42.1...and then changing
things on the fly in response to whatever lessons we learn on the way
to 42.2.. no one ever said we had to have this all figured out before
we start building it..if we did, we'd never build anything ;)