Re: [opensuse-factory] Will we have additional repositories for Leap as we have currently?
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:47:34 +0200
On 19 October 2015 at 15:01, jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

Currently we have repositories with the latest versions of desktops and some
applications (KDE, GNOME, Mozilla, ...) Will they be available for Leap too?

Greetings.

Hi,

I do not want to speak for the individual maintainers for those
individual repositories -

Whether or not they want to make repositories for that purpose is a
decision for them to make. I'm about to express below my opinion, but
ultimately, it's up to our maintainers, and they're fully within their
right to ignore everything I say now.. but personally speaking, if I
was in their shoes, I would _not_ bother with 'latest version' repos
for Leap.

We have Tumbleweed for the 'latest of everything' use case. It's a LOT
easier for us to maintain a fully rolling release, than trying to keep
a constantly moving software stack (GNOME, KDE, Mozilla) working ontop
of a static base.

Most of the time, when something goes wrong, it's often easily fixed
by updating to the latest things from upstream or updating something
somewhere else in the stack to fix the integration issues.

And if it's easier for us to maintain (and test - Tumbleweed has
openQA, something which none of those projects currently do) it's less
likely to break for our users..

Lots of work has gone into Leap to make it a STABLE distribution.
It's taken us months to put it together and make it work right.
A lot of that work has been integrating the chosen versions of all
those software stacks so it can act as a stable, curated, consistent,
operating system, which should serve everyone who downloads it well
until at least 42.2 comes out a year from now.

Such stuff doesn't happen overnight, has required lots of work and
lots of testing from lots of different angles. No addon repository is
going to have that level of scrutiny and effort.

Furthermore, taking individual software stacks, and piling them ontop
of a static base, is a lot more work for our maintainers to do, and it
doesn't take much for people to be able to make very horrific
combinations that would just never work.
Just look at the 'old Tumbleweed' model (Tumbleweed from before Nov
2014) - that was our old regular releases, with an addon repository
with a selection of new packages (GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, Kernel)
maintained and curated by a renowned kernel developer, but even then
it broke a lot, because it's frankly harder to build something that
works, and stays working, that way.

More integration points, more ways stuff can go wrong, especially when
still trying to do it at a pace that follows the upstream projects,
but that unmoving base makes it harder to find solutions to make it
right.

So, my hope would be that we start moving away from that model.

If you want the latest of everything, use Tumbleweed, where the entire
Tumbleweed community works together to make sure the resulting
distribution is integrated, consistent, tested, and working

If you want something more stable and that changes less, use Leap

If you want something in between..well, good luck, but the chances are
that you're going to end up creating a monster that will bite you
sooner or later, and it's going to be pretty hard for anyone to help
you in that case..