Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.1] Found a PDF that evince doesn't display. From IKEA.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:49:10 +0200 (CEST)
"Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tested the same PDF in 13.2 here.

Putting on my Scribus developers hat, welcome to the challenges of PDF
display with open source tools.

Looking at the PDF with podofobrowser, shows this PDF has some 20000
objects inside.

It was created with Adobe InDesign for print. It's complex internally
and has color managed high resolution images.

If a bug is reported against Scribus PDF's viewed in Evince it usually
will be immediately closed with a comment about "get a real PDF viewer"

Okular, even using the same poppler backend does a *much* better job and
what I see is as it brings a new page in the viewport it spikes the CPU
for a short time and then goes back to idle.

Its not an openSUSE issue. Its an issue with poppler/libspectre and
needs adressing there on freedektop.org

Acroread, even for Linux, is based on the same rendering engine used in
all the Adobe proprietary apps and knows how to handle complex PDF in a
way no other viewer can.

Hth,

Peter