Re: [opensuse-factory] leap - partioning proposal with subvolumes for mailman, libvirt, named, pgsql ?
Hi Matthias,

Am 14.10.2015 um 10:39 schrieb Matthias G. Eckermann:
Hello Per and all,

When introducing btrfs as the default filesystem for
SUSE Linux Enterprise, we started evaluating areas of
potential "disappointment", and we figured that there is
one - well known - risk: write performance in the
context of databases and virtual machine images (host).

noone[™] will run productive virtualization with VMS in
/var/lib/libvirt/images on the rootfs anyway :-)

As already mentioned by Ludwig, hardcoding this in the
installer is a possibility, but one of such stupidity
(IMNSHO) that it is only applicable to "enterprise"
customers, but not to a community project.

Now I know that Leap is going to use (very small) parts
of SLES12 code base, but we should actually use the good
ones and not the bad ones.

BTW: the view of the installation proposal with it's
3 screenfuls of mount points is making everyone in my
vincinity just go into the "expert" partitioner and
select "ext4" for the root fs.

And if they don't, they go back a few weeks later,
because their system monitoring tools (using "df") will
tell them that all their partitions are 90% full, sending
red alarms, even though "du -s" tells them only 20% are
used. Half an hour later, they have reinstalled with
ext4/xfs...

So if you want this btrfs thing to succeed, make it
look better to old-timers. Both in the installation
proposal (subject of this thread) and in daily use.

(I personally do not use btrfs, because it does not
bring *me* any benefit and I do not trust it yet, not
because I would not be able to find out how to "df").

With due respect :-)

seife
--
Stefan Seyfried