Re: [opensuse-factory] Installation of Leap RC1
Op zaterdag 17 oktober 2015 00:25:13 schreef Freek de Kruijf:
Today I performed a native installation of Leap RC1 on my desktop.

I have the following observations:

After booting the system from the USB stick and choosing Checking the
distribution media, this did not work. Via the menus that follow I found an
Expert menu entry that finally gave me the opportunity to check the media
and choose the proper device to check, which did succeed. So apparently
that primary entry does not know the medium it was booted from.

During the installation I selected Dutch as language. Most of the text was
in Dutch, however the slide show did not show the Dutch text in case
"openSUSE Leap 42.1" was present in the text. I would suggest to present
the text with a parameter containing the name of the distribution. In that
case the text of the slide show does not need new translated strings with
each distribution and translations are preserved from distribution to
distribution.

I really miss the opportunity to set the name of the system during the
installation. One needs to change that name afterward in /etc/hostname which
now gets an arbitrary name and is not even the name the system gets from
the DHCP server. The name it gets from the DHCP server is shown on prompts.
My preference is to have this name set during installation and not to
request that name from the DHCP server.

The installation went otherwise well.

In KDE I had the already reported problems. I tried Kontact and in KMail I
found the default theme having too much spacing between the folders in the
folder window. I have a lot of folders which in my current KDE system fit on
the screen. Not anymore. I forgot how to change the theme to the one I am
using in Tumbleweed, which has less spacing, but I will find the solution.
I still would suggest to use a better default theme there.

Freek,

I performed one install seeing the same things as you describe re. dutch in
the installer. Then I remembered seeing a warning in the beginning of the
install. So, the second install I enabled the online repositories, issue gone.

Re. the theming issue in Kmail ( and probably kaddressbook and korganizer ):
I've noticed the difference between breeze ( plasma5 default ) and oxygen. It
looks like the icon size in breeze is a tiny bit bigger, hence the spacing.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member
openSUSE Forums Team