Re: [opensuse-factory] Want to make a plasma session flicker like mad?

On 16.10.2015 22:26, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Christian Mauderer <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hello Ian,

I am observing a similar behavior since a while. Could you try
restarting the kwin session. (Or rather: Start a new one with "kwin_x11
--replace"). If the problem vanishes, I would be quite sure that it is
the same problem.

The effect on my PC is about the same one like in this video (not made
by me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zVI_yY6r0&html5=1

Till now I wasn't able to narrow it further down. Sometimes I had the
impression that VLC is able to cause the problem. But it is not the only
application.

It may be interesting that I noted the same behavior on an Arch Linux
installation on the same PC. To be exact: I reinstalled the PC because I
hoped that plasma on OpenSUSE would be slightly more stable.

Eventually this problem depends on the used graphics hardware?

I have a Radeon card. hwinfo --gfxcard gives the following model:
Model: "ATI Turks XT [Radeon HD 6670/7670]"

I'm using the open source radeon driver.

It looks like it's a redraw issue. Probably related to double
buffering or the like.

When I've experienced similar things in the past, with Compiz
(granted, plasma isn't compiz) I managed to work around it by picking
other rendering methods.

So, go to desktop effects configuration and try playing with the advanced tab.

That would have been my preferred method in KDE4 too. But I wasn't able
to find this Tab in Plasma5. There is only one view with the effects but
no tab where I can change the advanced settings. See the screenshot in
this Link:

http://temp.c-mauderer.de/temp/20151016223228-07a9e288-b671-406d-aac2-ab65927a8319.png

Do you have any idea where the options are accessible now?