Re: [opensuse-factory] Want to make a plasma session flicker like mad?
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:26:48 -0300
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Christian Mauderer <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Ian,

I am observing a similar behavior since a while. Could you try
restarting the kwin session. (Or rather: Start a new one with "kwin_x11
--replace"). If the problem vanishes, I would be quite sure that it is
the same problem.

The effect on my PC is about the same one like in this video (not made
by me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zVI_yY6r0&html5=1

Till now I wasn't able to narrow it further down. Sometimes I had the
impression that VLC is able to cause the problem. But it is not the only
application.

It may be interesting that I noted the same behavior on an Arch Linux
installation on the same PC. To be exact: I reinstalled the PC because I
hoped that plasma on OpenSUSE would be slightly more stable.

Eventually this problem depends on the used graphics hardware?

I have a Radeon card. hwinfo --gfxcard gives the following model:
Model: "ATI Turks XT [Radeon HD 6670/7670]"

I'm using the open source radeon driver.

It looks like it's a redraw issue. Probably related to double
buffering or the like.

When I've experienced similar things in the past, with Compiz
(granted, plasma isn't compiz) I managed to work around it by picking
other rendering methods.

So, go to desktop effects configuration and try playing with the advanced tab.