Re: [opensuse-factory] Multiboot - shared /home w/separate Gnome version extensions possible?
  • From: Chan Ju Ping <email@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:55:42 -0500
IMO, it is better not to share /home, but instead to share another
partition, call it /otherhome or whatever.

Then on each install use either the system "/" and a "/home" directory
(or another small partition if you must).

In your "/home/USERNAME/", create symlinks to directories in
"/otherhome/USERNAME/", like Documents, to store whatever you need to
share across your different installs.

This way, you don't mix configurations of any program, which can
create weird problems, and still keep a single separate partition for
your data for all the installations.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

I am using this exact setup type. Using a separate harddrive just to store
everything found in the Home folder, I do not waste too much time setting up a
new Linux distro on my computer, because restoring everything is as easy as
symlinking (and copying the bin, .ssh and .gnupg separately into the new
Home).

I have used it for 13.2, Tumbleweed, Fedora, and Kubuntu and it has allowed me
to bounce back from disastrous experiments quite quickly.
< Previous Next >