Re: [opensuse-factory] Virtualbox broken on tumbleweed
Op zaterdag 10 oktober 2015 17:33:40 schreef Andrei Borzenkov:
10.10.2015 17:11, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink пишет:
Op zaterdag 10 oktober 2015 14:41:48 schreef Erwin Van de Velde:
However :-) I would like to see missing packages like the kermel
modules preventing Virtualbox from working properly to be treated as a
bit more critical and updated sooner.

It's not just Virtualbox. Those of us having NVIDIA Optimus experience the
same thing re. bbswitch.
On an already running TW this IMHO should result in the system not
updating
the kernel, since the updates for the installed kmp packages have not been
built yet.

Do you have any suggestion how it can be implemented?

I wish I had, but I guess I am simply lacking the knowledge. Was thinking in
the depency direction but got stuck exactly the way you explain below.

I.e. we have packages

kernel-v1
kernel-v2
kernel-kmp-v1
kernel-kmp-v2

What Requires or Conflicts should be added to each package that allow

- installing all packages at the same time on a system
- not allowing installing kernel-v2 if kernel-kmp-v2 is missing

Given that kernel package obviously can *not* list every KMP as
prerequisites.

I do not see how it can be expressed using package dependency. Nor RPM
has any way to gracefully block installation.

I think it could be implemented as trigger that runs before kernel
package is installed and basically tests that

for each KMP installed on system
if KMP for new kernel is not available
fail

Small implementation details are a) how to find KMP and b) how to find
KMP for new kernel.

And even in this case installation of new KMP may fail or it may not
function so you *must* be prepared to cope with this situation.

100 % agreed.

On a fresh TW install this has resulted in the issue as mentioned, I now
know the same is going on for bbswitch-kmp-kernelflavour. Kernel is
4.2.1, kmp packacges are built for kernel 4.1.6, which won't work.
I assume this happens for the other kmp packages as well.

@Erwin: in the dutch subforums I posted about my getting around this issue
using osc.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht