Re: [opensuse-factory] i/o error on sdb shown in strg+alt+f10
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:52:17 -0400
On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Thomas Langkamp
<thomas.lassdiesonnerein@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

since about 2 weeks I have random crashes of different apps on one of my
Tumbleweed machines. Strg+Alt+F10 shows i/o errors on /dev/sdb after such an
app crash. sdb is an SSD where root and home lived happily together for the
past 4 years.

Could this mean that my SSD dies?

Post a few sample errors and it may be possible to give an educated guess.

I find sata cables have to be replaced occasionally if they are flexed
or connected/disconnected often. The rated life a typical sata cable
is very few insertions (500 I think). They are cheap to buy. I would
try that as my first troubleshooting step.

And where is the output of Strg+Alt+F10 stored?
I canĀ“t find the i/o error messages in /var/log/messages, dmesg,
xsession-errors or boot.log.

If they are "i/o errors" and not "media errors" then I suspect the
cables even more.

Greg