Re: [opensuse-factory] Heads-up: Python 3.5 heading to Factory [was: Re: Python 3.5 plan]
  • From: Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:12:37 -0400
On 10/02/2015 10:04 AM, jan matejek wrote:
On 28.9.2015 12:28, Todd Rme wrote:
Python 3.5 final has been released. Does anyone have any thoughts
about when and how openSUSE:Factory should make the switch?

I'm now submitting python 3.5.0 as a regular update for `python3`
package into Factory.

There's a ton of new features and negligible amount of
backwards-incompatible problems. One major thing that we will probably
run into is the fact that python 3.5 drops the .pyo extension in favor
of "opt-1" and "opt-2" suffixes to .pyc bytecode files. This might break
filelists in some packages. Other than that, however, there shouldn't be
more problems than usual.

Python 2, aka the `python` package, remains as it is.
For the record, there are currently no concrete plans about switching
`python` to Python 3.

At some point we might want to follow suit, Debian is/has switched to
python 3 as default and Fedora is switching in Fedora 23, and to version
3.5 in Fedora 24.

And yes it will be a ton of work.

Later,
Robert