Re: [opensuse-factory] 4 32-bit build fails in Leap:42.1 project
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 07:28:58 +0200
On Thursday 01 of October 2015 23:24:49 David C. Rankin wrote:
I was floored at the short-sightedness of the Leap team not building
for i586. As mentioned on the opensuse list, I would expected the
i586 kiss-off to come from the bleeding-edge distros long before
opensuse abandoned 32-bit architecture. I guess the 32-bit users can
migrate to the bleeding-edge for the next update as Arch is still
packaging i686 on the 4.2 kernel (which stays current with
kernel.org)

Note: Leap is going to have 4.1, i.e. one version older kernel.

It's ironic that this whole basis for this multi-year fangled
ringed-build system was sold as something that would make the build
process easier for the build team, so that more could be packaged,
tested with fewer bugs and less manpower. This seems to have paid off
in-spades as we are now cutting entire architectures because we don't
have enough manpower to build it anymore. Ironic...

Architecture*s*? As in "more than one"?

But seriously... It was more and more apparent that current model is
unsustainable in the long term with the resources openSUSE has. Perhaps
not apparent to the end users but obvious to anyone involved or at least
interested in the process. Changing the model is one step to address the
problem, dropping official i586 support is another.

Well hopefully through your effort, cooler heads will previal and
the new build system will show its worth with the 'i586' directory is
sitting side-by-side with the x86_64 dir, just as it always has, and
just as it should for the next 5 years..

Not exactly "side-by-side", I hope. If the i586 build was considered
equally official and equally supported, we would be inevitably repeating
exactly the same discussion on and on 5, 10, ... years from now.
(ifconfig anyone?)

I don't mind if some group of volunteers prepares i586 images so that
they are available as "ports", similar to arm64 or ppc64. But I'm surely
glad that finally one of the major distributions has the courage to take
first step in discontinuing the architecture (and for openSUSE breaking
the pattern "others do it, so we have to").

Michal Kubeček