Re: [opensuse-factory] 4 32-bit build fails in Leap:42.1 project
On 9/15/2015 8:04 AM, greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Interestingly I branched all 4 failures. 3 of them built fine for
32-bit, so the build errors appear to be transient (or build server
specific).

https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:gregfreemyer:branches:openSUSE:Leap:42.1?arch_i586=1&defaults=0&repo_standard=1&succeeded=1

Good for you Greg!

I was floored at the short-sightedness of the Leap team not building
for i586. As mentioned on the opensuse list, I would expected the i586
kiss-off to come from the bleeding-edge distros long before opensuse
abandoned 32-bit architecture. I guess the 32-bit users can migrate to
the bleeding-edge for the next update as Arch is still packaging i686 on
the 4.2 kernel (which stays current with kernel.org)

If the broken 32-bit packages needing attention becomes to much to
handle, shoot me an e-mail and I'll do what I can to breath life back
into a few.

It's ironic that this whole basis for this multi-year fangled
ringed-build system was sold as something that would make the build
process easier for the build team, so that more could be packaged,
tested with fewer bugs and less manpower. This seems to have paid off
in-spades as we are now cutting entire architectures because we don't
have enough manpower to build it anymore. Ironic...

Well hopefully through your effort, cooler heads will previal and the
new build system will show its worth with the 'i586' directory is
sitting side-by-side with the x86_64 dir, just as it always has, and
just as it should for the next 5 years..

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.