Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: Changing openSUSE's default font family
  • From: Kyrill Detinov <lazy.kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 21:52:11 +0300

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:01:24 +0200 Richard Brown wrote:

So, why the Source Family?
1. It's designed by Adobe, and they know a thing or two about fonts
2. The fonts are all open source (SIL Open Font License)
3. Wide language support
4. All designed to be used in *User Interfaces* which, is what we're
talking about using it for here
5. Much of the Source family is already used by openSUSE in our
official branding ( https://opensuse.github.io/branding-guidelines/ )
and having the user interface reflect that will be a subtle way to
subliminally imprint a consistent image of openSUSE on our users
6. The fonts all look great in every situation I've tested them in.
They do not require any fancy settings like Subpixel hinting to look
excellent
7. Modern, Contemporary looking.
8. Source Code Pro, the monospaced font, is very popular with everyone
I know who's asked it
9. I've been testing it as my personal default for over 6 months and
had no problems.

If there are any objections to this proposal, please speak up with
your reasons below.

I have found, Source Serif Pro doesn't include Cyrillic, Greek and
Hebrew glyphs.
So, no way…

http://susepaste.org/view/simple/90003413
https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-serif-pro/issues/4