Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20150630 released!
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a. Dimstar wrote:

Quoting Alessandro Russo <axela74@xxxxxxxx>:

I'm still using kde4, I've blocked almost all plasma 5 packages and at this
time it worked great.
With this snapshot if I try to upgrade zypper want to remove :
the following application:
Thunderbird

the following 17 packages:
baloo-file baloo-tools kactivities4 kde4-l10n-it kde4-l10n-it-data
kde4-l10n-it-doc kde4-print-manager ksshaskpass
patterns-openSUSE-kde4_games patterns-openSUSE-kde4_internet
patterns-openSUSE-kde4_multimedia patterns-openSUSE-kde4_office
patterns-openSUSE-kde4_utilities patterns-openSUSE-kde4_utilities_opt
patterns-openSUSE-kde4_yast
patterns-openSUSE-sw_management_kde4 plasma-addons

the following 8 models:
kde4_games kde4_internet kde4_multimedia kde4_office kde4_utilities
kde4_utilities_opt kde4_yast sw_management_kde4

can I upgrade the other packages to gcc5 and keep the old kde4/plasma4
packages? Are the problems in having a system with packages compiled with
gcc4 and packages compiled with gcc5?

I don't know - and I bet nobody will lean out and tell you 'yes, you can'.
What you run is simply not what Tumbleweed is meant to be and you're thus
completely on your own.

Yeah, for this kind of "large" C++ application stack I bet you'll run
into issues. You will as soon as you hit a "common" library (they
were built against the same SONAME Qt library?).

While the libstdc++ ABI change is somewhat transparent it is still
an ABI change. libstdc++.so.6 from GCC 5 provides both the old and
the new ABI but this "trick" doesn't extend to other C++ libraries.
And we didn't bump SONAMEs of all C++ libraries when re-building
them to use the new libstd++ ABI (so you could install both versions).

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham