Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20150630 released!
On 03/07/15 10:00, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Fabian Niepelt <fniepelt@xxxxxxxxx> [07-02-15 18:39]:
Am 02.07.2015 um 23:07 schrieb Andrei Dziahel:
Hi list,

Great to see next snapshot, but it comes with a problem � is it is
huge which may be the burden for users with less performant internet
connection (say I've got 2.2G to download on primary desktop and 1.5G
on secondary desktop/fileserver).

Can delta rpm building and publishing be enabled for Tumbleweed
repositories? That would save not just bandwidth but also time of
fellow Tumbleweed enthusiasts. Or, if there's concerns of any sort,
make it opt-in so project owners could test-drive it before enabling
it globally.

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

I'd advise using the -d option of zypper which causes it to only download
the new packages and not install them.
Let that run over night or during your lunch break or whatever and then
zypper up without the -d to overwatch the update process.
This is *especially* true when updates/upgrades are of this magnitude.
Having space, I *always* download the entire change first, then apply all
at once.

What am I missing here? If I recall correctly 'zypper dup' first downloads all the files and, after they are all downloaded, installs them - which is exactly what you do, except for a timing difference in your case between download and installation.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.6 & kernel 4.1.1-0 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor