Re: [opensuse-factory] Road-map for openSuse 13.3?

On 04/30/2015 03:24 AM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:14 PM, Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2015-04-28 21:59, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
Coolo said he'd rather not do a release at all and just use
Tumbleweed.
TW is not suitable for everybody :-(
Neither is every single software product out there.. ;-) Please make
your case on what's the exact problem with having only rolling
releases.
My main problem with having a rolling release is my PC at work, It's important that its secure so I do security updates often, but its also important that it doesn't break when I’m in the middle of important projects and up against deadlines. As a developer its also important that it has relatively up to date software on it because that's what I need to run some tools.

The 8-12 month cycle is ideal for this scenario it means I can wait till a few weeks after the release for any niggles to go away, then sometime in the next couple of months when I have some downtime between projects I can do the upgrade normally starting in some sort of VM because I need to deal with weird old stuff like NIS check that everything will probably still work then upgrade my machine and if I loose half a day to a day fixing stuff and doing it there’s not really any big deal. On a rolling distro I can't get security updates without also getting new versions of packages that may break stuff when I can't set aside time to fix it.

I also run 13.2 on my laptop at home because for the select few pieces of software I like the latest version of I just add a development repo, when I used to run the old tumbleweed a year or so back I got sick of constantly having large downloads of stuff like libre office and also kernel updates were painful when running a older NVIDIA card 6150m that needs a legacy version of the proprietary drivers.

So for me the end of releases would probably result in me being a lot less involved in openSUSE just because its not practical to run rolling releases on my systems and I don't want the hassle.

Cheers
Simon Lees

--
Enlightenment Maintainer openSUSE