Re: [opensuse-factory] Road-map for openSuse 13.3?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:46:26 +0200
Marcus Meissner wrote:

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:18:14AM +0200, Torsten Gruner wrote:

Michal Kubecek wrote:

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 02:54:30PM -0300, Cristian Rodríguez
wrote:
Neither is every single software product out there.. ;-) Please
make your case on what's the exact problem with having only
rolling releases.
For me, the main reason is the fact that upgrades necessarily
cause various kinds of problems from time to time. It's not only
bugs and regressions but also intentional changes in program
behaviour, config file syntax or semantics etc. It's acceptable
for me to do a distribution upgrade once a year or two (less often
on a server) when I reserve enough time to resolve these issues
and I expect things to be broken temporarily. Having such issues
continuously hitting me at random times in a "rolling upgrades"
model is not acceptable for me.

That's why I'm not using Tumbleweed on any of my machines and I do
not intend to.
Yep, that is the issue with a rolling release. +1

I think so, too.

Another solution might be to mark the affected packageswith this kind
of changes. And each packet has to be assessed whether a jump to the
next version without consequence for the function. Can several
versions are skipped?
And zypper has to handle this. This is a nice feature but a dream
only.

What do you mean with affected packages?

We try to push out only "stable" and working tumbleweed snapshots and
that seems to be working quite well already.

My Laptop is running Tumbleweed and I have so far not have had a
single troublesome status.

Unless you have a really unusual laptop it is probably not very
representative of the majority of use cases :-)

At some point last year I had an issue with icmp redirects not working
after an upgrade, it took three months to fix.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.2°C)