Re: [opensuse-factory] Road-map for openSuse 13.3?

Michal Kubecek wrote:

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 02:54:30PM -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Neither is every single software product out there.. ;-) Please make
your case on what's the exact problem with having only rolling
releases.
For me, the main reason is the fact that upgrades necessarily cause
various kinds of problems from time to time. It's not only bugs and
regressions but also intentional changes in program behaviour, config
file syntax or semantics etc. It's acceptable for me to do a
distribution upgrade once a year or two (less often on a server) when
I reserve enough time to resolve these issues and I expect things to
be broken temporarily. Having such issues continuously hitting me at
random times in a "rolling upgrades" model is not acceptable for me.

That's why I'm not using Tumbleweed on any of my machines and I do not
intend to.
Yep, that is the issue with a rolling release. +1

I think so, too.

Another solution might be to mark the affected packageswith this kind of
changes. And each packet has to be assessed whether a jump to the next
version without consequence for the function. Can several versions are
skipped?
And zypper has to handle this. This is a nice feature but a dream only.