Re: [opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 12:46:22 -0300
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Jan Matejka <JMatejka@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:27:55 +0200
Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So. I bought a can of compressed air, I blowed thoroughly in the input
vent, it definitely made some dust go out the output vent (= between
the keyboard keys), but the cpu still overheats even when idle.

The fan appears to be able to spin at reasonable speeds, since it
reports 3900 RPM at some times. Based on previous experience, if the
fan sensor is as accurate as before, this report should be taken as
exact. However, this fan speed is only reported for a very short
amount of time, as if the cooling policy specified to turn the fan to
full speed only between 60 and 62°.

Question is not so much if it doesn't overheat anymore but if it takes
longer. I'm not using the compressed air as I find it's pretty much
impossible to really clean the parts properly with it. It just doesn't
generate enough force. Especially in spaces that are enclosed a lot.

I've had issues like the one described in the OP and blowing
compressed air helps a lot.

Of course it does depend on how tightly packed the components are
inside the laptop, in my case not very tight, but it should have made
a bigger difference.

I'd guess the reported experience does put the software (BIOS
probably) in a very suspicious light.

Thing is, if you can't get it to work right in Windows even, there's
little chance of finding a software fix for it. Most BIOS firmwares
are quite tuned for windows, and if windows is also failing it does
show a very pervasive bug.

If I were you, I'd report that with your vendor. Seems like a hardware
or firmware issue that they should be able or at least try to resolve.
Even if it's just dust that the compressed air didn't unclog, they'd
be able to disassemble and properly clean it.