Re: [opensuse-factory] CPU overheating since recent update
  • From: Robert Martens <martenrt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 08:10:52 -0500
I'm really exited to see this coming "into the light". I'll be
awaiting the video when it arrives.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Thibaut Verron
<thibaut.verron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:27:55 +0200
Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So. I bought a can of compressed air, I blowed thoroughly in the input
vent, it definitely made some dust go out the output vent (= between
the keyboard keys), but the cpu still overheats even when idle.

The fan appears to be able to spin at reasonable speeds, since it
reports 3900 RPM at some times. Based on previous experience, if the
fan sensor is as accurate as before, this report should be taken as
exact. However, this fan speed is only reported for a very short
amount of time, as if the cooling policy specified to turn the fan to
full speed only between 60 and 62°.

Question is not so much if it doesn't overheat anymore but if it takes
longer. I'm not using the compressed air as I find it's pretty much
impossible to really clean the parts properly with it. It just doesn't
generate enough force. Especially in spaces that are enclosed a lot.

It's just easier to take it apart. You can find service manuals that
guide your step by step through the disassembly on the notebook's
manufacturer's web pages.

There is no sign that it overheats any slower. To be 100% sure, I
should have measured the time before and after "cleaning", but my
rough estimations will have to do.

As for taking the netbook apart, this is a step I will not take. The
compressed can thing was easy to test, and I should have had one of
these at hand for a long time anyway. Taking the computer apart will
take an afternoon, and I have no certainty that I will be able to
recreate a thermal contact as good as the current, or even that I will
be able to reassemble the netbook at all. The computer is not entirely
functional with this thermal issue, but it is still way more useful
than a brick.

I know how this whole story looks like, but you have to believe me, I
had this kind of issues twice already, and each time it was caused by
a software issue (combination of drivers, grub options and bios black
magic). Here the problem appeared with a system update, and it has at
least one purely software symptom (the fact that I cannot get manual
control of the fan, I am not even able to manually stop it). Could we
please try to investigate this?

Thibaut

Sincerely,
Bob Martens

Webmaster/Technician
Martin Luther College
http://mlc-wels.edu

--
This electronic communication, including any attached documents, may
contain confidential and/or legally privileged information that is intended