Re: [opensuse-factory] Road-map for openSuse 13.3?
On Wednesday 29 April 2015 09:39:25 Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 29.04.2015 02:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2015-04-28 21:59, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Cristian Rodríguez

Coolo said he'd rather not do a release at all and just use
Tumbleweed.

TW is not suitable for everybody :-(

13.2 obviously isn't either - so what's your point?

Why not? 13.2 has been great for me so far.

As end user, who requires stable desktop, openSUSE with 6-8-12 month cycle
gives the best possible solution ever. Rolling distros, like Tumbleweed or
Fedora, are extremely inconvenient unless you are a developer *of* that
distro. And on the other side, CentOS/RHEL is just too outdated, I do want to
have latest Qt5+QtCreator, newer git/mercurial/giflib, and so on. openSUSE has
this very attractive niche, being "stable but not ancient", and there is no
competition in this niche as far as I know.

Taking the best from both worlds, I would suggest the following:

1. Create repos for every part of the system separately. Already done (other
distros can only envy).

2. Create 2 versions of those repos, stable and tumbleweed. Snapshotting from
tumbleweed into stable once in a while, stabilizing that version. That is also
done for most repos. That, in my opinion, gives amazing opportunity for
developers to work on their piece of the system without encountering issues
from other pieces. For example the development of phonon may become crazy hard
if every two days gstreamer or alsa or pulseaudio gets broken or changes
behaviour.

3. Create the installation media that will be configured to use 128 smaller
repos instead of 2 "have-it-all" repos. That will allow changing only specific
parts of the system to the tumbleweed by replacing "13.3" in the repo path to
"tumbleweed". Speaking very egoistically, for me that would be the best
possible option, as I will just replace the KF5 and Qt5 repos from stable to
tumbleweed and have latest shiniest plasma, while not having to fix periodical
kernel/systemd/Xorg/etc issues that may creep into their tumbleweeds.

Of course that was very rough idea and some additional steps may be required,
like some "stabilizing" repos where tumbleweed snapshots will live for some
time before going to stable. I don't know all the nuances of the distro
development, but I really hope that those options will be more convenient for
both opensuse developers and target audience.

--
Regards,
Stas